Saturday, October 27, 2012

Updates from Duke

Well, we found out at about 4:30 yesterday afternoon that Mom needed emergency surgery to remover her colon or she would not survive. We were not sure that she could withstand yet another MAJOR surgery. We, along with the doctor’s help, were able to ask her if she wanted to “give up” or “go for it” and she said “GO FOR IT”. That is what we did!! She is a tremendous woman with unimaginable strength!!

The surgery lasted about 3.5 hours. The surgeon said that she did well. They took out her gall bladder also. She was doing well when we left last night.

This morning, the doctors told Dad that she was doing better than they expected due to the trauma she has endured over the past few weeks. They kept her sedated until around lunchtime today. She is still sleeping and groggy but doing very well.

Thank you for the continued prayers and support. It helps us and her more that you know!!

Friday, October 26, 2012

One step forward, TWO steps back…

This is Stacey, Sherry and Charley’s daughter, again.

Mom is not doing too good. She had a CT scan done Wednesday. It showed that her lower GI (bowels, colon, etc.) are not working properly. They had to take her off of the feeding tube due to this problem. She is only taking Tylenol for pain.

The doctors told us that the problem could be solved with surgery BUT Mom is way too weak for surgery. She has been through A LOT these past couple of months. Yesterday was a pretty rough day and she was not awake much. They did another CT scan this morning and it shows a slight improvement from yesterday.

Basically, we are going to wait a couple of days to see if she continues to improve on her own or if we need to try the surgery.

We encourage all prayers for her healing and for her not to be in pain or suffer.

We hope that she improves and we do not have to try a risky surgery.

Thank you – Dilworth/Price Family

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sorry it has been so long…A lot has happened

Let me start off by saying that I apologize for the delay in the updates. This is Stacey, Sherry & Charley’s daughter. A lot has happened since the last update on here. All chest tubes have been removed, which made her more comfortable!!! She had to stay in ICU until she no longer needed the ventilator. She needs the ventilator to decrease her CO2 levels. Up until last week, that was the only thing keeping her in here.

She began having stomach pains and they tried to get some fluids out last week. It was not enough to work with then. They were able to get some fluid out of her stomach earlier this week and culture it to see determine the substance.. It showed she had peritonitis. Her stomach pain increased two fold on Thursday so they did surgery to ensure there was nothing “leaking”. They were not able to find the source of the fluid but did clean out the area. They “think” the problem fixed itself.

My brother, Jason, and I got here around noon yesterday and Dad went home to relax. She was groggy from the surgery still but doing good. We left around 6:30 last night. They put her on the ventilator for rest last night.

Today, mom is doing pretty good. She had a chest xray this morning and it looked good, according to the doctors. We walked one time already this morning and plan on walking more today. Her stomach hurts where the incision is but they are managing the pain with medication.